BW LPG is committed to safe and responsible ship recycling. The BW LPG Ship Recycling Policy ensures that the recycling operation is under control, properly managed and that the recycling facility meets all requirements to recycle a vessel.
- BW LPG is committed to conducting business in a safe, legal and socially responsible manner to prevent accidents, injuries and other adverse effects on human health and the environment caused by vessel recycling.
- All BW LPG vessels shall be recycled in safe and environmentally sound manner in accordance with the principles set out in the following Conventions and regulations:
- Hong Kong International Convention (HKC) for Safe & Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships, 2009
- Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal, 1992
- European Waste Shipment Regulation
- Relevant local regulations
In order to achieve this, BW LPG shall:
- Act in accordance with the principles set out in the above-mentioned Conventions and comply with all applicable regulations in the recycling of vessels.
- Have due regard to legal, and socially responsible considerations in selecting ship recycling facilities.
- Work to ensure that any vessels sold to third parties for recycling are recycled in a responsible manner.
- Ensure that the recycling yard is approved by class society and has received ISO 30000 certification. The certification provides a transparent process and allows BW LPG to have the right to see vital parts of the ship recycling management system.
- Ensure that before sailing to the recycling facility, the vessel has an Inventory of Hazardous Materials (IHM, also called a green passport) document to allow the recycling facility to formulate a safe and environmentally sound plan to decommission the vessel.
- Ensure that before sailing to the recycling facility, the vessel shall have a Ship Recycling Plan (SRP), prepared in collaboration with the recycling facility.